Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Stance Project Blog Reflection

       Original Concept/Idea Thing                      Final Project
Questions: 
-Do you believe your stance clear within your poster? Defend your answer- image, fonts, color, composition, etc. 
I do believe my stance clear within my poster.  The large, colorful words at the top of the poster are meant to draw the eye, but also direct the viewer to the thing that these words are a part of: video games.  

-From your initial thumbnail sketches to your hand drawn draft- Do you feel you were successful in re-creating your poster idea digitally? If not, do you like the new visual outcome? 
While my final project did not come out the exact same as my hand drawn draft and thumbnail sketch, the idea behind it was still presented. The poster also managed to look very similar to how I originally imagined, and I personally feel that it looks better in some ways than it would have if I made it match the sketch idea. 

-What were the changes you made from your first version to the last version of the poster? Explain why you made those changes?
For the first version, I wanted the body of the figure to contain all of the video game related images while there would be many more words appearing to come out of the open head. This was changed to using the images as the background, and minimal but eye-catching word usage. The reason behind this change (aside from the fact that I needed something to fill the background), was that I felt it would be easier to see the pictures if they were larger, and it would be interesting/more appealing to have them behind the figure. I also cut down on the amount of words more out of necessity than desire, since the page would be too cluttered and the words would get lost in the background images if I had too many and tried to get them all to fit.

-Looking over your rubric, which category do you think your project is strongest? Explain why. Which category do you feel the least confident? Explain why.
Looking over the rubric, I feel that the category I would score highest in/did the strongest in is the design category. The colors that were chosen contrast against one another to make each stand out, as well as managing to blend in with certain background pictures so the view is not too overwhelming. The display of the background also creates very clear and distinct leading lines, directing view to the very clear focal point. The font was also pulled from iconic video games, so they easily fit the theme of the poster. However, I feel as though my concept gets lost due to the lack of words present in the image, making that the category that I feel least confident in. 

-What was the most challenging aspect of the project, conceptually? 
The most challenging part of the project, conceptually, was coming up with the concept itself. While I had a plethora of ways to express an idea, I did not actually have that many ideas to work off of. On top of that, coming up with an idea that would properly convey the stance that I had in mind was a challenge, and the end result did not come out the way I expected.

-What was most challenging about the project, technically?
The most challenging part of this project, technically, stems from my dislike of illustrator. I wasn't exactly willing to learn how to use it, and as a result spent much of the beginning portions of the project trying to figure out how to make an object to cover part of my image. 

2 comments:

  1. Really like your concept of video games Keon! Since I'm a gamer, I understand your stance because people really interpret video games as influencing young children to be more violent, which is not true.

    I felt inspired by the message because the poster makes playing video games not as violent and gory as people make them seem. I also feel nostalgic because of the games in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the different fonts used for each word because it shows how games can be fun and doesn't contribute to violence at all. The focal point is very clear because all the words are originating from the head.

      Delete